Travelling to Egypt. Cairo, Luxor and the Great Egyptian Museum.
Egypt has fascinated most people that I know. The pyramids, the Sphinx, Tutankhamun and the mighty Nile were names I had grown up reading about in books and watching in documentaries. I had been thinking of a short trip here but it had not materialised for one reason or the other. Visiting one of the world’s oldest civilizations and standing before monuments that have survived for thousands of years is an experience that leaves you spellbound. A visit to the world’s largest archaeological museum makes the journey even more memorable. Tutankhamun and the other Pharaohs stay with you long after you leave, inspiring you to watch documentaries and read more about an era that may be over 5,000 years old, yet continues to fascinate the world because of the extraordinary legacy it left behind.
Like every destination, Egypt had its highs and lows. My first impression wasn’t the best, thanks to EgyptAir, an airline that did little to make the journey enjoyable. The view of Cairo from the sky was also not very tempting as it looked like an arid desert with sand covered buildings and no greenery. Fortunately, once I stepped onto Egyptian soil, the country gradually revealed its many treasures. So come along as I revisit Egypt—the good, the bad, and the unforgettable.
The flight to Luxor was via Cairo. Our luggage did not arrive in Luxor with us. Travelling in a higher-class cabin brought no special treatment whatsoever. “Call us tomorrow,” was the airline’s rather casual response.
My plan for the first evening had been very different. I had imagined myself sitting beside the Nile, sipping a drink while watching a local dance performance. Instead, I found myself wandering through the streets of a small city in an unfamiliar country in search of a T-shirt and a pair of underwear.
I walked through narrow lanes and bustling by-lanes until I finally found a small shop selling just enough essentials to get me through the next day. There were no international brands here—only a colourful local market full of life and character. I bought what I needed and headed back to the hotel.
As I walked back, it struck me that those unexpected couple of hours had given me my first real taste of Luxor. I had mingled with the locals, observed everyday life, and experienced the city before reaching the famous monuments.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Temples of Luxor, The Valley of the Kings and the Nile Croniche were the highlights of Luxor where we spent 4 days.
The journey didn't end there. Cairo, the Pyramids, the Grand Egyptian Museum,The Tutankhamun Gallery, Khan el-Khalili, Al Muizz Street, Egyptian food, a desert sandstorm, and some unforgettable encounters made this a very memorable holiday.
I would like you to read the complete illustrated travelogue by going to my website through the attached link. The travelogue is very detailed and is accompanied by several photographs of each place. I am sure that you will enjoy it once you go through it.
https://rohinarora.com/2026/07/16/egypt-beyond-the-pyramids/




Comments